Master of Arts in Teaching — MAT: Middle Grades Education
EKU’s online Master of Arts in Teaching with a concentration in Middle Grades is a graduate degree program designed for individuals who already hold a non-teaching bachelor’s degree and are interested in becoming a middle grades teacher.
Format: 100% online
Credit Hours: 34 hours
2017-2018 Tuition: $510 per credit hour
Transfer Credits Accepted: 9 hours
Career Options: Middle grades education teacher; specialist or coach (P-12); teacher leader educator
Notes: If you will be teaching outside Kentucky, please consult with your state’s licensing agency to determine whether our program will meet your state’s licensure requirements.
Middle grades candidates select two concentrations from among the following:
- Social Studies
Candidates must earn a minimum of 24 hours of content coursework in EACH of the two chosen content areas before completion of the program.
Enhance your degree with a certificate
Students can choose from numerous graduate certificates in specialty areas that complement and enhance your content area as you are work toward your degree.
What sets our program apart?
EKU is dedicated to preparing the highest quality educators and related professionals for Kentucky and beyond. EKU’s curriculum blends academic and professional preparation through course topics such as content, effective pedagogical skills, and dispositions that foster life-long growth and learning.
- 8-week terms
- Personalized graduation plans
- Study any time, from anywhere
- No campus visits required
- FREE transcript evaluation service to learn what concentrations you are qualified to pursue in the MAT program
- Core curriculum focused on training teachers as leaders while gaining expertise in a selected area
- Assignments and action research that build critical thinking skills
- Individualized attention and support from dedicated faculty and staff
- Programs are accredited by the National Council for Accreditation of Teacher Education (NCATE) and The Council for the Accreditation of Educator Preparation (CAEP).
- Ranked by U.S. News among the best universities offering online degrees
Why choose EKU?
EKU is a regionally-accredited, brick-and-mortar university that is ranked among the nation's best colleges and has been educating students for more than a century. EKU has received numerous honors, including being named one of the best online colleges in the nation and one of the most veteran-friendly campuses.